Lesser Florican - August 2023

Total Pageviews

Monday 31 December 2012

2012 - A Year Review

UK BOU Year list - 310 - My first time reaching 300+, and hopefully the last. My 300th bird was a Pallas's Warbler in Lancs. Also congrats to Jake and Mick on reaching 300+, and thanks to both for a brilliant year. I saw 19 new species for my British List bringing my total up to 381 BOU.

Sussex Year list - 216 - a good total despite spending most of my time out of the county. This is my third highest Sussex total. Best bird probably being the Siberian Stonechat at Beachy.

Best twitch of 2012 - Has to be the 23hr round trip from Seaford - Fife Ness, Scotland for an Eastern Olivaceous Warbler. Also saw Radde's Warbler, Red-breasted Flycatcher and a Pallas's Warbler on this day. A cracking day.

Self-founds of 2012 - I had a good year this time. 2 BB rarities included a Glossy Ibis at Cuckmere in February and a Great Reed Warbler on Shetland in October. Others finds included 2 White Storks at Rye, Long-tailed Skua in Argyll, Sooty S'water, Storm-Petrel and Wryneck on the patch and a Honey Buzzard at Beachy.

Best 3 birds of 2012 - In order - Cream-coloured Courser, Pechora Pipit, Common Yellowthroat.


Best world bird of 2012 - This bird has to come from Ethiopia. There were many to choose from but the most rewarding was in fact the Prince-Ruspoli's Turaco.