Lesser Florican - August 2023

Total Pageviews

Sunday 18 May 2014

Medmerry RSPB & Peacehaven Cliffs 18/5/14

Eventually caught up with a Black-winged Stilt in Sussex this year. The two birds at Medmerry performed well this morning, with a supporting cast of Little Ringed Plovers and plenty of Avocets. A very good looking reserve which has plenty of potential, so I'm sure it won't be my last visit. Also many thanks for those who text me this morning.

These two Stilts were only my second occurrence of this species in the county, my previous record being back in 2005 for a one day bird in the Cuckmere on the 1st of May.

This evening a walk from Peacehaven to Castle Hill along the cliffs produced a Cuckoo and a Hobby.

On Friday, the Cuckmere held just a Grey Plover, and yesterday I was a bit too late to see the Temminck's which was seen briefly, but 2 Hobbies flew north.


male Black-winged Stilt at Medmerry