Lesser Florican - August 2023

Total Pageviews

Tuesday 29 September 2015

Shetland 29/9/15

Weather - Clear night then becoming cloudy and near gale force winds, especially in the north.

Got to the north of mainland for first light hoping for the Thrush but as predicted it had gone. A real shame but atleast it wasn't a Veery. I went as far north as I could go where a large patch of iris beds kept me busy for a while. Mega news of a PG Gropper in the south got me hurtling it down there only to find it was a normal Gropper (yet more over keen observers not willing to look at the bird properly before releasing news), and then news of a Pechora got me racing back NW. Nice views of this then I just birded a couple of towns after by which time the wind had really picked up. Still, a better day and as usual, I'm looking forward to the next day. 

Totals are:
Red Grouse - 1
Yellow-browed Warbler - 15
Redwing - 3
Pechora Pipit - 1 Loch of Norby
Sparrowhawk - 1
Red-breasted Flycatcher - 1 Quarff
Twite - 4

the Pechora twitch