Lesser Florican - August 2023

Total Pageviews

Friday 30 September 2016

Seaford Head 30/9/16

A week of westerlies and with no scarcities hitting the south coast the optimism has been very low, but this morning the area felt good, though alas just the expected migrants were seen. The Finches are starting to get going though still in small numbers, and Hirundines made the most of the calm conditions. Very little else to say other then I'm glad I resisted the Eastern Kingbird on Barra (I was checking up flight and ferry timetables last night) as my arrival would have coincided with the bird flying into the clouds and buggering off not to be seen again, so whether I would've seen the bird or not I'm not too sure? October tomorrow...........bring it on!!!

Totals are:

Grey Wagtail - 2
Wheatear - 4
Yellow Wagtail - 15
'alba' Wagtail - 12 E
Chiffchaff - 65
Willow Warbler - 1
Blackcap - 35
Reed Bunting - 3 W
Goldcrest - 2
Skylark - 2 high E
Goldfinch - 18 E (one tight flock)
Linnet - 30 E
Redstart - 1
Redpoll - 1 E
Siskin - 3 E
Whitethroat - 5
Swallow - 300 E
House Martin - 300 E
Whinchat - 1

 Whinchat in Hope Gap
 Reed Bunting in Hope Gap
Chiffchaff by the crater