Lesser Florican - August 2023

Total Pageviews

Sunday 26 March 2017

Guyana Day 7 - 26/3/17

The next three days of the Guyana trip are now updated onto the blog, keep scrolling down. The other days have now been back-dated to their original dates. Again, a more detailed story-line and a more varied selection of photos will be available on Richard Fairbank's blog which can be viewed by clicking on 'birding never sleeps' on the blog list.
Atta Lodge, Iwokrama
This morning we planned to walk the canopy walkway. I lagged behind again but catching up with the others on the walkway it was obviously quiet so I gave this up and went off on my own finding a vocal Blue-black Grosbeak and a small group of Grey-winged Trumpeters on the trails below. I felt I had done well and so went back for breakfast to enquire about the days plan, which in turn seemed feasible for me to head off again on my own. I had heard about an ant swarm along a different trail and so I went in search of this. Along the way I was pleased to find a Guianan Toucanet and a couple of other brown jobs, but soon I found the ant swarm which was attracting more stunning White-plumed and Rufous-throated Antbirds. I stayed put hoping something else would appear, and this duly happened but was in fact a flock. Looking around to my left I was staggered to see a large group of Grey-winged Trumpeters slowly coming towards me. I slowly moved to a position where I could clearly see the group, and they ignored me and got within a few metres of me. A great experience but I wished Richard was alongside me knowing Trumpeters are one of his favourite families. I carried on for five minutes but got stopped in my tracks by a very loud call of a Rufous-winged Ground Cuckoo. I legged it back to the ant swarm to find Ron and the others playing the tape. Slightly gutting but good to know I now knew the call, and now I was in the company of the others, and over the next hour we notched up a great tally of species. Probably the highlights was a stunning Ferruginous-backed Antbird, Great Jacamar, Black-bellied Cuckoo and a stunning Black-faced Hawk. The latter was an impressive find by Ron knowing the feather found on the path probably related to this species, and upon playing a recording one duly arrived above us and we enjoyed fine views.
A quick lunch was had as I was eager to get back into the forest. I walked the same trail as yesterday an came across much of the same as yesterday but a large feeding flock of Grey Antwrens also held a Long-tailed Woodcreeper, but with more mammal encounters including a Red-rumped Agouti and many Red Howler Monkeys, making me think a Jaguar would be close by, but this wasn't to be. Back at the lodge a vocal Amazonian Pygmy Owl caused much panic and running around though was eventually pinned down by Ron, how he spotted it I have no idea. After this chaos we walked down to a small bridge and waited for a Crimson Topaz to come in, and scrutinised many Swifts and eventually found the little-known Chapman's Swift. We then drove further north having had a welcome fizzy drink as I was feeling rather malarial, and tried another spot for White-winged Potoos. We found two bird this time, but the top highlight here was a surprise Sunbittern that flew past us in the pitch black and landed on the track. We spotlighted it back to the lodge on top of the 4x4s seeing very little. A brilliant day and my liking for Atta Lodge was increasing by the hour.
Crane Hawk

Black-faced Hawk

Grey-winged Trumpeters - 16

Sunbittern

Ruddy Quail Dove - 4

Scarlet Macaw

Lilac-tailed Parakeet - 5 bvd

Caica Parrot - 2

Black-bellied Cuckoo

Amazonian Pygmy Owl

Chapman's Swift - 1

Crimson Topaz

Great Jacamar

Guianan Toucanet

Long-tailed Woodcreeper - 1

Ferruginous-backed Antbird - 1

White-plumed Antbird

Rufous-throated Antbird

Guianan Red Cotinga - 1

Blue-black Grosbeak

Green Oropendola
 Grey-winged Trumpeters showing very well
 Ferruginous-backed Antbird
 Black-faced Hawk
 Red-rumped Agouti
 roosting Bats
Chapman's Swift - a tricky bird to identify but with photos its possible. The uniform underparts very diagnostic from any other Swift in the region, as is the shape of the wing. The upperparts were also uniform.
Amazonian Pygmy Owl - phone-scoped shot. How Ron spotted this I have no idea, even if it did fly in viewing through the bins it was nearly impossible to see.
 Iwokrama Canopy Walkway
watching the Ferruginous-backed Antbird, with Richard viewing on his trusty Gentleman's stool.