Lesser Florican - August 2023

Total Pageviews

Monday 28 August 2017

Seaford Head & Halcombe Farm 28/8/17

Another morning on the Headland but it was by far the quietest of the four days so far. The only decent bird was the Wryneck that done the decent thing and hung around another day. However as soon as it saw me it flew off into the bushes but kept a constant eye on me. I therefore retreated and carried on with my circuit.  

The whole area however was fairly quiet and all too soon I was back at home and on my bike to cycle to the Queen of Spain Fritillaries nearby. However, despite the rarity value its always underwhelming knowing that this local population is more like of a dubious origin rather then the real thing.

Totals for Seaford Head are:

Yellow Wagtail - 37
Whinchat - 1
Wheatear - 6
Willow Warbler - 25
Lesser Whitethroat - 5
Whitethroat - 17
Tree Pipit - 1
Blackcap - 40
Reed Warbler - 5
Chiffchaff - 3
Wryneck - 1
Sedge Warbler - 1
Spotted Flycatcher - 1


 Wryneck in Hope Bottom
 Wheatear at South Hill Barn
 Spotted Flycatcher at Coastguard Cottages

Queen of Spain Fritillary at Peacehaven