Lesser Florican - August 2023

Total Pageviews

Thursday 23 November 2017

Seaford Head & Lower Cuckmere 23/11/17

With very few Gulls assembled in Newhaven Harbour this morning I moved over the Harry's Bush, Seaford Head where I scanned the few Gulls that were there (not the hoped for 5000 Great Black-backed Gulls that roosted at Dunge last night) and to my delight a first-winter Caspian Gull was present, but not for long as it flew off five minutes after finding it. It had a yellow colour ring on its right leg so I presume its of a German origin. A couple of argentatus Herring Gulls were also present and a North Thames Great Black-backed Gull was also seen, but too distant for any detail.

Afterwards I quickly checked Harry's Bush and to my surprise there was a very showy Continental Coal Tit in the Tit flock there.





first-winter Caspian Gull in the Lower Cuckmere bearing a German ring 
(not that you can see it on these images). Hopefully the first of many this winter.


Continental Coal Tit in Harry's Bush