Lesser Florican - August 2023

Total Pageviews

Wednesday 29 November 2017

Sovereign Harbour, Eastbourne 29/11/17

With work this morning I only managed to get to the harbour for midday. Despite searching for a while I eventually found the Black Guillemot, and a superb county tick it was to, and a welcome relief after dipping the Worthing bird by a few minutes back in 2015. Whilst searching for today's bird I glanced out at sea with my bins and a long way out sat a white-winged Gull that was obviously a Glaucous Gull and thankfully it followed a boat into the harbour and landed on the flats nearby. My camera decided to die after three shots and the bird soon flew off out to sea not to be seen again. The Black Guillemot continued to show nicely for another hour. 
Afterwards at Newhaven Harbour the Great Northern Diver was still present. 

On Sunday after work I went to Staines Reservoir for the Horned Lark, maybe a potential IOC split one day.

one of my three photos taken with my proper camera before the battery gave up.

Glaucous Gull at Sovereign Harbour - initially distant out at sea it was good to 
capture it (1st image) flying around the harbour before going out to sea again.
Above shot phone-scoped but shows the bill colour well.


Black Guillemot at Sovereign Harbour - a great find by Richard Bown and
many thanks to JFC for letting me know straight away. A very welcome
county tick of this rare south coast bird.

Great Northern Diver in Newhaven Harbour - not its best angle showing more
of a banana bill shape then anything else.