Lesser Florican - August 2023

Total Pageviews

Sunday 24 December 2017

Local Stuff - more Gulls I'm afraid 24/12/17

I started Christmas Eve at Newhaven Harbour where a first-winter Caspian Gull was seen for a short time on the beach before flying out to sea. As the tide came in the Great Northern Diver appeared and showed well. Afterwards I checked the Cuckmere and viewed from Harry's Bush the largest Gull flock seemed to be north of Exeat bridge, so I made my way around and through the bins I could see a third-winter Caspian Gull in the group. Despite other flocks about I couldn't find anything else. 

To get away from the Gulls, I walked up to Charleston Bottom and was very pleased to see the two Hawfinches that Nick Pope found here a few weeks ago. One male showed off its conk of a bill rather well.

On Wednesday morning I was in Madrid with work and my usual area I look at produced a handful of Crested Larks, a Short-toed Treecreeper and a Hawfinch being the highlights.

On Monday with Dad we visited West Rise Marsh and found at least two Water Pipits and a good candidate for a Scandinavian Rock Pipit, and at Princes Park the Slavonian Grebe was still present.

Happy Christmas!!



these first two images with my proper camera but still of very bad quality. 
First-winter Caspian Gull centre shot.


When I first set eyes on it I suspected some sort of hybrid influence, however
getting the scope on it a full suit of features materialised, with just the coverts
being slightly suspect, although in flight looked good. 



This advanced third-winter Caspian Gull in the Cuckmere was more 
straight-forward. I did consider a fourth-winter but with no mirror on P9
and some black in the tail and brown around the carpel I was happy with a 
third-winter. Not seen in these images but it revealed a white tip to P5 with a 
solid black sub-terminal band.


superb Hawfinch at Charleston Bottom

 
Charleston Bottom - the Hawfinches liking the tall trees on the left