Lesser Florican - August 2023

Total Pageviews

Sunday 31 December 2017

New Years Eve 2017

With working from the off in 2018 I made the most of a truly grim day and visited Tide Mills, Lower Cuckmere, Newhaven Harbour, and with news of an adult Bewick's Swan from Andrew, the Ouse Valley.

Tide Mills produced 8 Purple Sandpipers and 62 Dunlin roosting along Mill Creak. The Lower Cuckmere produced yet another Caspian Gull, this one being a smart second-winter, and is my 15th Caspian Gull this winter period.

Andrew a few days ago found an adult Bewick's Swan in the Ouse Valley and kindly told me it was still present today, and despite being distant was a welcome sight not far from home. Newhaven Harbour didn't produce anything of interest as the light faded, but of course the long-staying Great Northern Diver was still present.

Happy New Year!!


second-winter Caspian Gull in the Cuckmere - I had superb flight views, even 
seeing the white mirror in P10, but I just couldn't capture it with the phone.

My final sunset of 2017, at the very scenic Newhaven Harbour........