Lesser Florican - August 2023

Total Pageviews

Sunday 8 April 2018

Seaford Head, Cuckmere, West Rise etc. 8/4/18

On this date 10 years ago I found a singing Grasshopper Warbler on Seaford Head where later that morning it snowed heavily and to date is the only time I’ve had a reeling Gropper in the snow. Not that this means anything, but a different Locustella was seen today and so brought back some memories.

With rain overnight and continuing into the morning I was keen to hit the Headland and Cuckmere early on in the hope of a fall, but sadly this wasn’t to be, although a Hawfinch in Hope Bottom was only my second patch record.  I then went over to West Rise Marsh late morning where the Savi’s Warbler showed briefly on a few occasions and once showed nicely in flight as a Cetti’s Warbler chased it around the reeds. 

After this I had no choice but to wash a now very bedraggled dog and chill out for a bit whilst she dried out. I then walked the cliffs between Peacehaven and Newhaven where a Black Redstart was the highlight. 

Seaford Head
Hawfinch - 1
Firecrest - 1
Willow Warbler - 1
Chiffchaff - 4

West Rise Marsh
Savi’s Warbler - 1 male (my 2nd in the county)
Little Gull - 1
Common Sandpiper - 1
Greenshank - 1h

Peacehaven - Newhaven
Black Redstart - 1

Hawfinch over Hope Bottom having 
initially been found skulking in the bushes.
Black Redstart near Newhaven Heights

Kris's photo of Kris's photo, of Kris's Savi's Warbler;
if that makes sense.