Lesser Florican - August 2023

Total Pageviews

Monday 2 April 2018

Splash Point 2/4/18

I was on standby with work this morning and was therefore reluctant to tempt fate and go down Splash Point, but with a reasonable forecast I was keen to get down there, and just after first light I was on Splash Point with my umbrella at the ready for a superb seawatch with a constant flow of birds for most of the time I was present, including some good quality species. I was the only person on the Point (Briefly joined by Nick & Liam) and therefore worked hard to keep the umbrella erect, writing the numbers and trying not to miss anything going by.

By far the highlight for me were a pair of  Garganey with a group of Common Scoter, however the latter species went into four figures for the first time this season. Other good bits included Eider, Little Gulls, an Avocet, Arctic Skuas and plenty of Terns.

Liam stayed on and collated totals from when I left to 3pm and recorded another 97 Little Gulls, plus lots of variety and good numbers

Anyway, totals between 06.35 - 12.05 are a follows:

Brent Geese - 248
Common Scoter - 1469
Red-breasted Merganser - 6
Gannet - 43
Sandwich Tern - 353
Shoveler - 8
Shelduck - 17
Red-throated Diver - 105
Arctic Skua - 7 (all dark phase)
Teal - 4
Common Tern - 28
Razorbill - 1
Auk sp. - 4
Avocet - 1
Tufted Duck - 3
Grey Plover - 13
Little Gull - 86
Garganey - 2
Eider - 4 (ad drk, fem, 2 2nd cy drk)
Pintail - 9

Yesterday morning I walked the headland where only two Wheatears were in Hope Gap with no other migrants found at all. Afterwards I joined Paula and Leo up High and Over for some Easter 'fun' and lucked into an Osprey slowly heading north up the Cuckmere valley, though regrettably the camera had been left in the car.

my view for the morning

1st summer male Wheatear in Hope Gap